Are Lead Contaminates in Your Home?
Lead is scary word for allot of people, much like Mold has become. But like Mold, Lead is everywhere. So how do we keep ourselves free from harm?
What Is Lead?
According to EPA, Lead is a naturally occurring element. While it has some beneficial uses, it can be toxic to humans and animals causing of health effects.
Lead has been found in a variety of products found in and around our homes, most notably is Paint. Lead in paint has many benefits. It drys faster, shines better, blocks sound & radiation, and prevents the growth of mildew. Along with paint, ceramics, plumbing materials, solders, gasoline, batteries, ammunition, cosmetics, and toys have been found to contain lead.
When Lead Becomes Toxic:
Lead enters the body through inhalation or consumption, those are the only ways. Lead becomes toxic when disrupted.
Ex. Lead paint in a home is not harmful, unless the paint is peeling or chipping. If the paint is disrupted, lead dust can spread in the air and into your lungs. Children may be tempted to eat paint chips or rub their hands on the walls where disrupted lead paint is present. This presents a serious health hazard to the child.
Both Adults and Children absorb lead at different rates. After the limit is reached, effects may be more harmful.
Identify Effects of Lead:
Lead attacks almost every part of your body, making you feel sick. It can also do damage to your brain, lower your IQ, cause stomach problems, hearing problems, birth/pregnancy defects, and kidney failure.
Lead effects can also be unnoticeable too. A BLL (Blood Lead Level) test will give an approximation of how much lead is in your blood.
Lead in Your Home:
Yes lead is probably in your home now, whether in the form of paint or household products.
Visit the EPA & CPSC websites for more information on Lead and certain items that can affect you and your family.