Are Two Masks Better Than One?
Masks are a crucial step in preventing the spread of COVID-19. These masks provide the best protection when everyone wears them, however not all masks are made the same or provide the same level of protection. How can you choose the right mask? Are two better than one?
Choose a mask that will...
- Fit snuggly against your face. This prevents air and droplet leaks around the edge of the mask.
- Have multiple layers. This prevents leaks through the mask.
Remember! Masks need to fit properly & be a good quality to be effective. When masks don't fit properly or is made of a single layer of cloth, an additional mask may be needed.
N95 masks provide the best level of protection. The demand for these masks are high, and are primarily sourced for the medical field. If you're unable to use an N95 mask, here are some things to keep in mind.
The mask should...
- Have a Nose Wire. This helps keep the mask on your face.
- Fit snuggly over your mouth, nose, & chin. This helps seal your mask around your entire face.
- Have multiple Layers. This prevents droplets from escaping.
If you cannot find a mask that matches the upon criteria, a lowering performing single layer mask will suffice when combined with an additional tight fitting mask.
For more information on mask protection visit the CDC.gov. SERVPRO® of Downey provides defensive virus protection for your property. For more information on our sanitation services, call (562) 392-3007.