Be Ready: Storm Damage
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today (562) 392-3007
Severe weather can happen anytime.
Storm Damage includes hazardous conditions produced by thunderstorms, strong winds, large hail, & flooding.
Know your risk:
Thunderstorms & Lightning
Develop an emergency plan based on your local weather hazards and practice your plan.
What can you do when your Downey, CA home suffers water damage? Click Here to visit our blog post covering water damage.
If your home or business suffers damage from a storm, know who to call to quickly get help.
When you are dealing with storm, flood, and water damage, immediate action is crucial. You should choose the company with storm damage experience and expertise that has the resources and equipment to handle the job.
SERVPRO of Downey responds immediately to your flood and storm damage emergencies. We have the storm damage restoration experience and specialized equipment to restore your home or business back to pre-storm condition. SERVPRO of Downey can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions.
Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. Our training program includes the following:
- IICRC Training
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training
- Continuing Education Classes
SERVPRO of Downey is locally owned and operated ready to respond to any of your storm damage incidents.
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today (562) 392-3007
Coronavirus Disease Clean up & Sanitation (COVID-19)
SERVPRO can help you fight against the COVID-19 virus.
We care about your safety. That's why we've employed techniques and strategies to disinfect the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
What is the COVID-19 virus?
The virus was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China reportedly spreading from person to person in parts of that country.
Early patients in the COVID-19 outbreak in Wuhan, China had some link to a large seafood and live animal market, suggesting animal-to-person spread. Later, a number of patients did not have exposure to animal markets, indicating person-to-person spread.
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms include Fever, Cough, & Shortness of breath. They range from mild to severe, & possibly resulting in death.
Is there a risk?
Currently in the United States the risk of COVID-19 is low with only 15 positive cases confirmed by the CDC.
How can SERVPRO help?
SERVPRO currently utilizes their own EPA approved disinfectant that helps kill bacteria related mold and viruses such as SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV, & COVID-19. Our crew of trained professionals will establish a containment area to disinfect your environment.
If you would like your Commercial, Institutional, or Home environment sanitized from the Coronavirus, Call SERVPRO of Downey (562) 392-3007
For more information on the COVID-19 virus and how to protect yourself, visit the CDC website.
Signs Your Business Might Have a Mold Problem
24/7 Mold Remedation Services
Mold can be a major problem for anyone, especially a business. In addition to disrupting your employees’ productivity and potentially causing health effects, active mold growth can destroy your building, furniture, and more. Many business owners respond to mold once it's too late. How do you know if you have mold? There are a few signs to look out for.
- You can actually see mold. One of the most obvious signs you have a mold problem is that you can actually see it. In fact, once you’ve spotted it, testing usually isn’t necessary; you simply need to contact a mold remediation company.
- You notice a musty smell. Mold doesn’t always grow in visible places, such as under the sink or inside your HVAC system. It does, however, give off a musty smell. If you detect the odor in your business, it’s best to have a professional test your business for mold.
- Your business recently had water damage. Mold can begin growing within 24-48 hours after it’s been exposed to moisture. While quick drying and an antimicrobial application can deter mold growth, water damage is often undetected or unaddressed until it’s too late. If you notice you have water damage, call us immediately!
Mold growth can disrupt your business, but it can be addressed by a mold remediation company. Our team at SERVPRO of Downey has remediated hundreds of mold-affected homes and businesses. If your business has mold, you can call us anytime at (562) 392-3007!
Do You Have a Emergency Ready Profile?
Be prepared, download the Emergency Ready App today.
According to FEMA, around 40% of businesses fail to reopen after a disaster. To make things worse, the United States Small Business Administration found that over 90% of businesses close within 2 years of a disaster. These statistics may be alarming, but you can lessen the impact of a disaster if you make preparations in advance. One of the easiest ways to prepare is by creating an Emergency Ready Profile.
All of Your Business’ Vital Information
An Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) is a document comprised of all of your business’ vital information. It includes emergency contact information, utility shut-off locations, and other information you or your employees might need in an emergency situation.
Your local SERVPRO franchise will create an ERP for your business—free of charge! A representative will come in and ask a few questions, then get the necessary information regarding shut-offs and emergency exit points. The whole process should take no more than a few minutes of your time!
After your representative compiles the documents, they will present both a physical and a digital copy of the ERP. And in some cases, they will give a copy to your local fire department to have for their own records.
Recovering Your Business
After a disaster, your priority should be to get your business back to its normal operations. Fortunately, an ERP allows you the opportunity to quickly respond and take crucial actions. So if you want to get an ERP for your business in the LA or OC area, call SERVPRO of Downey today at (562) 392-3007!
Reduce the Impact of Smoke & Fire Damage
The longer you allow the smoke damage to set in, the more damage you will see.
When your property is subjected to a fire; smoke, ash, and even water from the firefighters will cause damage. However, learning more about how smoke damage progresses as well as where you can obtain restoration services can prevent these issues from becoming problematic for you. Get the information you need to reduce the lasting impact that fire damage can have.
How Smoke or Ash Damage Progresses
- During the first few minutes of smoke damage, the soot’s acidic nature will start to yellow several types of plastics, including your small appliances. If not restored quickly, porous materials such as marble or alabaster can become permanently discolored.
- Several hours later, the acid from the soot will stain the grout in your kitchen or bathroom. It can also tarnish metal, yellow your fiberglass, discolor your furniture, or damage your major appliances.
- Within several days, your painted surfaces will be subjected to acidic soot. They will then start to yellow. Additional forms of deterioration include the corrosion, rusting, and pitting of metals. Your wood may also be in need of refinishing. Finally, you may have to replace your vinyl floors.
- Within a few weeks, the damage deepens. For example, your carpets can be permanently discolored. Additionally, your silver-plated possessions can be subjected to irreversible corrosion. Also, items like glass and china may become etched in the soot’s acid.
Seek Professional Smoke Damage Restoration Services
Smoke and fire damage can have a profoundly adverse impact on your property, time is of the essence. The longer you allow the smoke damage to set in, the more complications and deterioration you will see. For this reason, finding a high-quality fire and smoke damage restoration company is important. To ensure that you attain the excellent, expedient services you need, look for a restoration company that possesses the following attributes:
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
If you’re looking for a disaster restoration company SERVPRO of Downey should be your first stop. After years of serving our community, we have the skills and experience to respond quickly to any smoke or fire incident. In fact, our technicians are skilled in cleaning soot and smoke damage from most surfaces and belongings. Call us today at (562) 392-3007!
The Science of Drying
Does your mitigation company know about the science of drying?
Did you know there is actually a science behind the process of drying?
The knowledge of psychrometrics is essential to restoring a water damaged structure to its preloss condition. While your initial reaction may be to grab a few towels to mop up the mess and place a fan or two around the damaged area, SERVPRO of Downey is trained in the science of drying and follow strict industry-approved standards to help prevent further damage
If your business suffers a water damage, SERVPRO of Downey will:
- Inspect the building to detect every component that is wet, to help prevent secondary damage from happening.
- Measure how much moisture is in wet materials and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
- Use professional drying equipment.
A wet building can often dry naturally because the environment always seeks equilibrium. When materials are wet, moisture will naturally move to drier air at the surface of the material–but only if the air is, indeed, drier. The only problem is, nature often takes too long and secondary damages may occur while the building is drying out. For this reason, SERVPRO of Downey has been trained to use top-of-the-line equipment to help move your loss forward, including equipment to help dry hardwood floors, tough-to-reach spaces inside walls, and much more.
SERVPRO of Downey uses the latest technology to help ensure your property is dried quickly and efficiently. DryBook™ is a proprietary tool that:
- Manages industry drying requirements. n Provides real-time documentation on the drying process.
- Validates that services are executed to standard.
- Reports to all stakeholders involved.
- Allows real-time updates through DryBook™ Mobile integration. This improves results and restores your property at a faster rate, getting you back in your home or business sooner.
SERVPRO® uses state-of-the-art
monitoring equipment and a proven scientific process to help speed the drying of your home or business.
The bottom line? SERVPRO of Downey has the training and equipment to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Have Questions? Call Us Today –(562) 392-3007
Storm Damage Types
SERVPRO® of Downey is ready to help with your Storm Damage!
Storm Damage is not Created Equal!
During storm season in Downey, CA we see heavy rains, flooding, lighting, and wind! Any one of these storm types could easily cause damage to your home or business. These damages can keep us from feeling like our home is complete or keeping us from running a business. It is important to know the different damages that a storm can cause.
- Wind Damage Roof damage in this situation may range from a missing roof due to strong winds that may loosen flashing. This can cause your roof shingles to be removed from your home or business causing leaks. Even a subtle roof leak can produce damp, moldy conditions. A SERVPRO of Downey restoration expert can help property owners address storm damage and roof damage more effectively.
- Flooding Damage Heavy rains in the Downey, CA area can cause flooding. Flooding may disrupt municipal water systems which call for experts to assess groundwater and evaluate the condition of pipes following flood damage. Our SERVPRO of Downey team can assist in your cleanup process after flood damage has occurred.
- Lighting Damage When a storm occurs, many times it brings the loud sounds of thunder which mean lighting is striking. Your home or business may have objects attached to the building that can attract a lightning strike that can cause a fire. A bolt of lightning can reach temperatures of roughly 30,000 kelvins (53,540 degrees Fahrenheit). Lightning strikes, or discharges of massive charges of static electricity, cause about 2% of all fires. If this occurs in your home or business, SERVPRO of Downey has the team to help handle the restoration of both the fire and smoke damage.
Restaurant Fire Protection Tips
Is your restaurant protected from a Fire threat?
The restaurant industry is what we'd call 'High Risk,' specifically for Fires. Think about it... Cooking oils, grilling equipment, cleaning equipment, paper products, and a single open flame can spark a massive fire. That can lead to damaged property, loss of revenue, or possibly closure of the restaurant.
How can Restaurants Protect themselves from the Threat of Fire?
Fire Suppression System
This automatic system can be installed to dispense chemicals to suppress flames before they spread. Once it's activated, fuel or electricity that is powering the cooking equipment is automatically turn off.
Protect your restaurant by strategically placing fire extinguishers both in the restaurant and in the kitchen. Class K extinguishers work best within kitchens to fight off grease, oil, and fat fires. Class A, B, & C extinguishers can ensure fires don't spread to the sitting area.
Fire Alarm System
A fire alarm system will monitor your restaurant environment for the presence of fire. The system will not only alert those in the building, but may also activate a Fire Suppression System.
Regular maintenance checkups of your cooking equipment, pipes, and fire protection systems will ensure your restaurant will be protected from fires.
Choosing A Fire Extinguisher
Do you know what fire extinguisher you have?
Did you know there are five different types of fire extinguishers and that each type is designed for different types of fire? Whether for your home or business, it’s important to have the correct type of fire extinguisher available.
Class A: This is the most common fire extinguisher. It can be used to put out fires in ordinary combustibles such as cloth, wood, rubber, paper and many plastics.
Class B: This type of fire extinguisher is used on fires involving flammable liquids, such as grease, gasoline or oil.
Class C: These fire extinguishers are designed for fires involving appliances, tools, or other equipment electrically energized or plugged in.
Class D: These fire extinguishers are for use on flammable metals, and are typically found only in factories that work with flammable metals.
Class K: This type of fire extinguisher is intended for use on fires that involve vegetable oils, animal oils or fats in cooking appliances. Class K fire extinguishers are generally found in commercial kitchens, but are becoming more popular for use in home kitchens.
Multi-Use: There are fire extinguishers available that are able to be used on several different types of fires. A combination of Classes A, B and C is a common multi-use fire extinguisher.
4 Steps If Water Is Leaking From a Ceiling Light
Never touch the light fixture or a light switch, and keep everyone as far away as possible from the leak.
4 Steps If Water Is Leaking From a Ceiling Light
Discovering water in light fixtures on the ceiling is an especially hazardous situation and one that needs to be handled with great care. Act quickly and cautiously to prevent damage to your Downey home and keep everyone inside safe. Follow these four steps:
1. Turn Off Electricity
One of the main dangers of water leaking from a ceiling light is the possibility of electrocution or an electrical fire starting. Never touch the light fixture or a light switch, and keep everyone as far away as possible from the leak. Next, find the main breaker box for your home and shut off the electricity.
2. Shut Off Water
Heavy leaking from water in light fixtures can cause extensive water damage to your home. You want to prevent even more water from entering your home by turning off your home’s main water supply.
3. Address the Leak
You can place a bucket or towels under the drip to help soak up some of the water and prevent more damage from occurring. The leak can be caused by a ceiling pipe or even a leaking toilet or bathtub. If the water is coming from a source upstairs, address the leak if possible and clean any standing water.
4. Call the Experts at SERVPRO®
You will need the help of a water damage restoration company to address any damage that occurred to your home. Contact a specialist right away to prevent the situation from getting worse.
Discovering water in light fixtures requires immediate and careful action. Remember to make everyone’s safety a priority, and don’t hesitate to get to help.